expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Tried it Tuesday {Glitter Stenciling}

Hi everyone! It's Time for Tried It Tuesday!
What have you tried at school or home?
If you've never linked up with Tried It Tuesday, just link up any idea school or home related and what worked or didn't work. Grab the button below. Simple!
My Tried It:
Glitter Stenciling
I am still trying to knock items off my to-do list before summer draws to a close. Many of you are back at school but we start officially after Labor Day. Maybe I can even get in a Monday Made It before the end of summer. I will be working on updating classroom curtains this week and making a curtain for under my daughter's loft bed. That brings me to this week's Tried It. My daughter is now 8 years old and her room needed an update. She wanted a more "mature" color on her walls. Sniff sniff. :( This is her room before.
So, I sanded the old stencils before repainting and patched some things.
I painted the walls in Glidden "Mushroom Cap" matte. Then, I bought a pint of Glidden "Bonjour Beige" in satin for the stenciling. It is just a shade darker than the wall color. I knew I wanted a glitter effect in the stenciling and bought this extra fine glitter at Walmart. 

 At first, I wasn't going to add the glitter directly to the paint but was going to try a put a glitter glaze over top of the stencil. However, I decided to try it. What was the worst that could happen? I poured a small amount of paint in a 1 cup measuring cup and started adding glitter.
I used about half of the bottle of glitter for about 1/3 cup paint. I had a lot of paint left over too from the measuring cup when I was done stenciling.
 Glitter mixed in paint:
 Stencils I bought. I only used the large one but may add small flowers later.
 My daughter helped out too! Here she is stenciling a flower with a stencil brush.
You don't need much paint on the brush.
 Here is a picture of her room. I am sewing a new curtain for under the loft bed. I will post pictures when that is done. :)
 Another view...
 Stencil up close with glitter
 Bedding is Paige Quilted bedding from Pottery Barn Kids.
 Rug is also from Pottery Barn Kids and has flecks of gold sparkle!
If my maintenance staff allows it, I would like to try some paint with glitter stenciling in the classroom! It was so easy and I love how it turned out! 



4 comments:

  1. So cute - What a fun project, Holly! I'm sure your daughter will enjoy her "more mature" room :)

    ~Jessica
    Joy in the Journey

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks awesome--I might have to try this out in my kid's room...or my classroom
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. You said, "GLITTER"! That's one of my favorite words! I love how the glitter mixed with paint turned out. Jerm is probably about to get really mad at me because I'm about to girly glitter everything I see...shh...don't tell him!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything is better with glitter! It looks awesome and I love the pic with your daughter concentrating on the stencil. Great post Holly! Enjoy your last few weeks!

    Tina
    Crofts' Classroom

    ReplyDelete